New GB standard published for the technical requirements of e-bicycles9. July 2019
The GB17761-2018 (Safety technical specification for electric bicycle) standard was issued on May 15, 2018 and went into full effect on April 15, 2019. In order to ensure the effective implementation of the mandatory product certification implementation rules for electric bicycle products (CNCA-C16-16:2018), the National Certification and Accreditation Administration (CNCA) held the TC12 electric bicycle professional group meeting March 18-19, 2019. On March 25, 2019, “the Technical Resolution on the Interpretation and Implementation of the GB17761-2018 Standard” was issued.
The new requirements of the Technical Resolution are more specific and detailed. Here are some examples:
- Specific requirements are made for the total volume of vacant space inside the bicycle body. The total volume of all vacant spaces inside the bicycle body should not exceed 1500 cubic centimeters (1.5L).
- A specific technical explanation has been added to the design requirements for saddle anti-tampering
- There is a clear requirement for the anti-tampering of the pedal. The cranks on both sides of the electric bicycle should not be removed by hand or using universal tools.
- It is required to submit a description of the anti-tampering design method. When applying for testing and certification, an electric bicycle company needs to submit a description of the anti-tampering design method for the bicycle’s maximum speed, power, voltage, controller, and battery etc.
- When changing the certified product, if only the luggage carrier size, saddle height, luggage carrier height and crank anti-tampering function are changed, the certification body can adopt a simplified method.
- The certified enterprises should immediately check whether the products they have obtained meet the standard requirements, and immediately stop the factory sales for products that do not meet the requirements, and rectify and complete the certification changes within three months.
After the implementation of the “Technical Resolution”, it can effectively promote enterprises to improve production processes and enhance technical strength, improve inspection and testing ability, optimize product structure, improve product quality, and enhance market competitiveness, so as to achieve high quality development of electric bicycles.
For more information on how CCC certification may affect your company, or for more information about CCC certification in general, the process, and the associated costs, please visit our website and our News Section where you will find current updates twice a week.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further details and consultation. You can contact us via e-mail, or call us (UK: +44 2071931135, Rest of Europe: +49 69 2713769150, US: +1 773 654-2673).
You can also check out our free CCC-Brochure, which can be downloaded right here as a PDF file or you consult our book (in English) “A Brief Guide to CCC: China Compulsory Certification”, which can be found directly here on Amazon.